Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Good News for some

a Jesus thought...
I do not seek my own will but the will of the Father who sent me. (John 5:30)

a Godly thought...
Built into the very fabric of New Testament teaching on the extension of the kingdom is the assumption that when the Christian community embraces a godly, holy lifestyle, it will so tantalise the wider community that they will seek after God. (p54 Frost & Hirsch)

a leading thought...
Wise leaders will remember that no matter where they are, they are in God's presence. (p271 Blackaby)


a Dave thought...
I came across theses emergent motivationals yesterday feel free to download them from http://emerginggrace.blogspot.com/2007/07/more-generous-view.html
I was particularly disturbed by this - What is good news for this person? My first response is to show mercy and love but is good news more than that? You see somehow I have grown up in a mindset and culture that everyone who is going to come closer to God through me is more than likey going to be like me already. That means I will mainly reach white, middle-class, Australian males - and there are still plenty who need Jesus. But we do really struggle to accept others into our churches and that is how we have ended up with homogenous congregations. We need to start crossing cultures, classes and generations to share our faith as there are many hurting people who are not going to turn into white, middle-class Aussie males. Unfortunatey we Salvo Australians have decreased in percentage terms as our country has become more multiçultural and we struggle to accept and love all beyond our social centres into our corps. The biblical principal of unity in diversity is an area Jesus excelled at while living on this earth so maybe we need to try and do the same.

Just a thought.

No comments: