Monday, November 12, 2007

Crackberry

a Jesus thought...
But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves. (Luke 22:26-28)

a Godly thought...
The church is not a trophy case crammed with nice, together people. It's a place where those tragically dubbed as misfits can find that they fit, where odd types can belong and believe. (p83 Lucas)

a leading thought...
Ideas are the currency of the future. This intellectual capital-innovation, imagination, and creativity-must be valued and sought at all costs. (p153 Finzel)

a Dave thought...
THE number of Australian BlackBerry users is expected to double in the next year and experts say the craze will lead to poorer family life and less personal satisfaction.
The multifunctional business tool is already referred to by some as a "CrackBerry" for its addictive qualities.
An organisational psychologist and Griffith University senior lecturer, Paula Brough, said that by making people always accessible, there was a detrimental effect on work-family balance.
"I think it's a serious concern," Dr Brough said. "There has been so much research demonstrating how technology has totally blurred the boundaries between work and home life. People find they can't switch off the work demands at all.
"It can be managers or supervisors expecting 24-hour access to their employees, which is the worst type. Instead of taking your children to the beach or to the movies, you've always got your BlackBerry with you. You can't turn it off."

I must admit I do have an addiction, as an avid Blackberry user I am constantly attending to a little machine that spends most of its time in my pocket or in my hands. I love the convenience and the freedom to access Internet & email 24/7 wherever I am located, I also love to network, dream and connect with people outside of the office so this allows me to do that while still being in contact with my team.
But does it effect my family life? Yes if I am honest it is addictive and as I like to stay on top of my inbox and pass on information as quick as possible it constantly grabs my attention. But ministry is unending and there is always something to respond to, so this is dangerous. So like all addictions it is up to the user to really want to break the habit, for true freedom to occur. Maybe if the habit gets any worse I need to look at booking into a Blackberry detox centre? What I do do know however is that somehow Jesus managed to get a lot done while on this earth and to the best of my knowledge didn't own a Blackberry so there is an alternative way, but then again he always knew the 5 day forecast, so maybe he did have one.
Just a thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.