Friday, November 2, 2007

Grace

a Jesus thought...
Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 26Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? (Luke 12:22-26)

a Godly thought...
Sometimes we dress up our church consumerism in the disguise of pursuing the radical for the sake of heaven above – when in fact we are really on safari to try and find what suits us right down to the ground. (p39 Lucas)

a leading thought...
The greatest innovations and strides forward we will make in our calling will arise from ideas generated at the fringes of our organisation. (p63 Finzel)
a Dave thought...
Yesterday afternoon my wife and I dropped in and visited Davey in a Salvation Army Detox unit in the city. Scottish Dave is a good friend and since I met him over 4 years ago he has had many ups and downs in his life. I remember meeting him for the very first time when I took him out to Nunawading to listen to our concert band play Christmas carols. The night was a disaster as it literally hailed for half an hour with hail the size of golf balls. So as we were trapped in my car together for an hour in the car that night, I look back and think maybe that God used that moment to hook us up for this long journey together.
Davey has an ABI (Acquired Brain Injury) as the result of an accident outside a pub from about 10 years ago, but still gets on with life and always does the best he can in every situation. He has become our number 1 volunteer at Café Salvo and has cleared many tables and washed countless dishes. A pinnacle of his time with us was when he became an adherent 15 months ago in our Sunday evening service and then had his family back at our house for the after party.This week Davey asked me if I was disappointed with him, as he felt he has let me down. I let him know that we all make mistakes and we all need grace from time to time to make it through the journey that is our life. I continue to pray for Davey and thank God for His grace and forgiveness for without it we would all be lost.

Just a thought.

No comments: