Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Obsessions

a Jesus thought...
And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end. (Luke 1:33)

a Godly thought...
Emptying ourselves, rather than being full of our own ideas, words, plans and selves, is a tough ask for most non-poor. If we are to be true neighbours however, we have to let go of our own power and empower others, becoming servants to the poor, not their new masters. (p98 Barker)

a leading thought...
A leader is not an administrator who loves to run others, but someone who carries water for his people so they can get on with their jobs. (Robert Townsend)


a Dave thought...
I have a dream, but it is really pretty selfish. Back in November 2003 I competed in a half ironman event along with 900 other nutters. This event involves a 1.9km swim, 90.1km bike, and 21.1km run. It took me 6 hours and 40 minutes. The cut off time is 7 hours so this is the bottom 10% of times so I am no athlete but I am pretty fit and determined. So this year I am nearly 100 days out from my next pursuit on November 11 Port Macquarie half ironman my dream is to complete it in sub 6 hours.
But what I struggle with is all my hobbies become obsessions, eg golf, the football, and now my once go for a little jog around the block routine. Surely this is not great to turn hobbies into obsessions? Or is it when they start getting in the way of following Jesus that they become more than a hobby?
Just wondering what Jesus did in his spare time? I'm sure whatever he did he would have done pretty well, but maybe not obsessive?

Just a thought.

No comments: