Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Thoughtful & Committed

Thanks again for the suggestions, my new leadership book is Right to Lead by John Maxwell a study in character and courage.

a Jesus thought...
One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me. (Mark 10:21)

a Godly thought...
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has. (Margaret Mead)

Too much contemporary Christianity is more like magic than true faith. With consumer-driven magic on the increase, it is no wonder community worship songs such as ''I surrender All" and "Trust and Obey" have been replaced by "All Things are Possible" and "All that I want". These are not about surrendering all to Jesus so that God can do through us what God wants. They are consumers'attempts to get what they want. (p24 Barker)

a leading thought...
Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to the end requires some of the same
courage which a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave people to win them. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

a Dave thought...
Prayer is something we take for granted far too often. Yesterday as I prayed a rather selfish prayer about selling our car, which has been at a car yard for the last 3 months, God was again working behind the scenes. I rang Peter the car salesman in the morning to be told that he had found a buyer - a lady who I would really like! I asked him to explain and he went on to tell me that "she has two young children and is living in a poor suburb helping street kids, isn't that what you do?" Not quite - I was thinking. Did Peter (an unbeliever) know too that I have been praying about living a more incarnational lifestyle and didn't need to be further disturbed by him!? He & Peter have got something going on! So even through our selfish prayers God often speaks to us.

Just a thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mate - consumerism is such a challenge! I must have been really really naive recently thinking that I wouldn't have any problems adjusting to a different lifestyle! And in some ways, my lifestyle is better now than before. Kind of weird - still don't get it! Singing "I surrender all" is way too much of a challenge - it's much easier singing about all things being possible when you don't want to give up dreams and standards.